Skip to main content

Using Visio for SharePoint Wireframes

I started out my career creating custom forms, stationary, and illustrations/diagrams for a book publishing company. imageYou can see my old illustration art here: http://www.noreastdesign.com/erik/*Keep in mind this was last modified back in 2004, so the resume is way out dated...*

Back in 2004 I was working exclusively on a MAC. So when clients (Book Authors) sent us Visio files, we would cringe because all we saw was very rough boxes and squares.

As my career changed to consulting, and my PowerBook laptop turned into a Dell Latitude, I started looking at Visio a little closer. After being  given a task to take screenshots and re-draw all SPS 2003 default pages and admin screens in Visio(~70 screens) I started seeing that this application could really be more than boxes and squares.

So I put down my Illustrator, Freehand, and other vector programs and really dove deep into what Visio had to offer. I found it actually really easy to create great looking wireframes.

image
Example SPS2003 Home Page Wireframe created in Visio 

I had the ability to draw complex icons, webparts, and layouts. This was a great way to learn SharePoint and Visio at the same time since I am a very visual learner. But what do I do with it now?

image

We started using this for a few projects and it was a great success. But by the time we started getting other people to use it in our practice, MOSS Beta 2 was just getting released. So back to the drawing board... To learn about the new features in MOSS I whipped up a VM image, got an instance installed, and started taking screenshots and Wireframing.

This time with the intention on creating not just a documented version of SharePoint in Visio, I wanted to create a Toolkit that could be used throughout our practice for a consistent way of creating SharePoint Wireframes.

image
Example MOSS 2007 Home Page Wireframe created in Visio 

So this time I created a ~50 page toolkit that spanned from Basic Home Page, to Team Site Templates, to My Sites and all the way down to the Site Settings screens. This was a huge undertaking but once finished, I had created a tool that someone could simply drag and drop Webpart Shapes such as document libraries, Issues Lists, Announcement lists, Etc right onto the page.

image

By creating a consistent way of creating wireframes it is now easier for my group to create and share new layouts, templates, webparts without worrying about how to convert an Illustrator, Fireworks, or PPT template for re-use.

I am not saying that Visio is Holy Grail of Wireframing applications. There are some tools such as Omnigraffle that do a good job as well, but since Visio is part of the Office Suite, its easier for people to get a copy and install it.

So I encourage you all when the next SharePoint version is released, go out and create your own SharePoint wireframes in Visio you might just hit two birds with one stone.

** Update **

I know you are thinking to yourself, great cool, when and how can I get it.. I really wish I could share it, but since this is a document that was created in-house (EMC Consulting) I cannot share... I get asked this all the time at clients sites... God knows how many people have actually offered $ for it... But at the end of the day I really cannot share... SORRY for all the Hype but nothing to show.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Would you consider sharing this?
Erik Swenson said…
Todd, I just updated the post with some info about why I cannot share... I really want to but my hands are tied...
Unknown said…
I have just released 2 libraries of 850 Architecture and Design shapes for MOSS 2007 and WSS 3.0 for Visio 2007.
Unknown said…
Try http://www.visio-for-sharepoint.com
Unknown said…
Hi Erik,

Too bad you can't share it with us. But it's ok, I still can make wireframes with Illustrator for planning a website.
XY said…
Here is the Microsoft's link to download SharePoint Shapes for Visio.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21480

Evan said…
Have you used Creately wireframe tool. You can get inspired from these wireframe templates . There are 100's of examples in the diagram community as well.

Popular posts from this blog

How To: Create Hyperlink to Modal Pop-Up Form

I was asked by a client recently if there was a way to create a hyperlink to a New Item Form anywhere within a site but still get the rich experience of the Modal pop-up window that grays out the background. (Note this is for SharePoint 2010 Only…) I basically took the code directly from the “Add new item” and the “Add Document” link within the list view. What this allows you to do is simply add in the following code to any content editor web part, Master page, or Page Layout in any site collection and display the form to be filled out. The user will get the nice experience of the modal window and not have to navigate away from their current page. This could be used for example a feedback form that is included in the master page so whenever someone wants to give feedback it is always going back to a central list. The only that is required for you to know is the List ID and the site name. Full Code For a List Item: <a onclick="javascript:NewItem2(event, &quot

SharePoint 2010 Base CSS Classes

This will be the first of many SharePoint 2010 posts. I will be focusing on a few of the main CSS classes used for SharePoint 2010 Public Beta. As the product becomes more final there might be some changes to the class names but I will be sure to create a new post if that happens. This will be quite a lengthy but it should be helpful. The default CSS given below are just highlights of the full CSS attributes for that class. I will be using a basic team site as my base for the screenshots. Here is a basic structure of the main areas that I will cover. Ribbon Row Table Row Left Site Actions Navigate Up Edit Tab List Browse Page Table Row Right Give Feedback Welcome Menu Workspace Body Container Title Row Title

SharePoint 2013 Responsive Table Columns

I have been wanting to write this one for a while now. It is really amazing how UX is really finding is way into everything that we use and interact with. From Custom applications both mobile and on a desktop to document management or large data visualizations. There is always room for better usability and new concepts. SharePoint lists and library functionality really has not changed much for the past 10 years... I remember back in 2003 when I saw the same table/grid based views of documents and list items that exists in SharePoint 2013. But now we can look at them in a whole new way! In this video blog you will see how to create a responsive CSS table so that when the browser size is reduced it will hide specific columns. However hiding data is not always the right thing to do. What if a user needed those columns to filter on or to use for comparison to another document? Well that is where the custom jQuery Column chooser comes in. It allows you to see what columns are displ