Skip to main content

I pulled a newbie yesterday

Well I thought that I had seen it all when it comes to quirky things in MOSS 2007 but again it always seems to find a way to throw me for a loop.

I was in the process of creating a custom content type. I based it off of the "Item" content type. I wanted to change the column from "Title" to "Client Name". Usually this is pretty standard when working with normal columns, simply click on the column name, change it and save. But when it comes to Content Types it's a whole new ball game. Since content types are simply a collection of site columns once your mage a change, everything changes…

Here is what I started with:

(Figure 1). You will notice that I have the OOTB System "Title" and a bunch of custom Site Columns below. I figured I could just simply change the name of "Title" to "Client Name" and be on my merry way…

Figure 1

So when I clicked on the title column I was presented with the following screen:

(Figure 2). I saw that there was a link to Edit Site Column in new window so I said heck why not.

Figure 2

I change the column to "Client Name" and everything was golden until I looked at another list and noticed that all columns that were based off of my Item Content type now had Client Name instead of Title… Well duhhh of course it did… So now I felt like a complete Newbie and had to go back and fix it before anyone had noticed. Sure it was only for that Sandbox Site Collection but still not very smart… So I went back to the custom content type and click on the column client name and was simply going to change it back to "Title" like nothing had changed… Well um yea that's not going to work because of course sharepoint things that that column is reserved and in use… Of course it does… So I when googling around and found this gem of a site:

In this thread a person a year ago did the same thing that I did… The solution was to navigate to the Change Site Column Page for "Title" _layouts/FldEdit.aspx and save the page as a Web Page Complete file down to your local hard drive. Then Open up that .html file and look for the following: "doesFieldNameConflict".

Then delete:

if (doesFieldNameConflict(DisplayName))

return false;

Save it and then open up the HTML file > change the name back to "Title" and click on "OK". IT WORKED!!!!

So if you are ever in this situation you now have a way of getting out of your Newbie mistake.


Popular posts from this blog

How To: Hide Left Side Navigation on Home Page

I was recently asked: "How can I hide the side nav bar on the main homepage layout ?? I want to be able to use the side NAV with in the team site etc etc, but I don't want it on the front page.. " There are a couple of ways to do this in SharePoint 2010. If you are using a non-publishing site you can add a Content Editor Web Part to the page and add the following to the HTML Source.
body #s4-leftpanel
display: none;
margin-left: 0px;
Basically the CSS above hides the left navigation Div, and then sets the content area to not have a left margin. Once you are done, simply modify the web part and hide it on the page. If you are using a publishing site for your homepage simply add the same styles specified above to a custom page layout. That way if you have a need for other pages that do not need the left side navigation you can re-use the page layout.

SharePoint 2010 Base CSS Classes

This will be the first of many SharePoint 2010 posts. I will be focusing on a few of the main CSS classes used for SharePoint 2010 Public Beta. As the product becomes more final there might be some changes to the class names but I will be sure to create a new post if that happens. This will be quite a lengthy but it should be helpful. The default CSS given below are just highlights of the full CSS attributes for that class.I will be using a basic team site as my base for the screenshots. Here is a basic structure of the main areas that I will cover.Ribbon RowTable Row Left Site Actions Navigate Up Edit Tab List Browse Page Table Row Right Give Feedback Welcome Menu WorkspaceBody Container Title Row Title Title Logo Title Text / BreadcrumbPage DescriptionSocial Data SeparatorI like It Tags/Notes Top Header 2/Top Links li Static-Selected li Static SearchHelpStatus Bar Container Main A…

Small Calendar for SharePoint 2010 & 2013

First off I would like to apologize for the lack of posts. I have been really busy with my new role as the UX Design lead within Slalom Consulting Boston. I will share more about that in another post. In a previous post Create Really Small Calendar I showcased how to do this for SharePoint 2007. However the 2010 and 2013 calendar views have changed and therefore we cannot use the same method or CSS as 2007.SharePoint 2010 Small Calendar:
SharePoint 2013 Small Calendar:
See video below for a video walk through on how to create a small calendar for SharePoint 2010 and & SharePoint 2013 with just CSS.Per the video above here is the code that I referenced:2010 CSS link reference in Master Page:
<SharePoint:CssRegistration name="<% $SPUrl:~sitecollection/Style Library/smallcalendar.css %>" After="corev4.css" runat="server"/>2010 CSS:
/**** Small Calendar ***/
.ms-acal-item{height: 10px !important;}